State Nominated Visa is a points-based Permanent Residence Permit for skilled experts and trades people who have nominations from an Australian territory or a state. The visa holders may reside and get professionally involved anywhere throughout the specific sponsoring state/territory eligible family members can be included in the application.
To be able to submit a valid application for this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You can do this in or outside Australia. If you are nominated by a state or territory and meet the basic requirements for this visa, you will then receive an invitation to apply.
There are basic requirements you must meet to apply for this visa. You must:
be invited to apply
- be older than 18 and less than 50 years of age when the invitation is issued
- nominate an occupation that matches your skills and qualifications and is on the relevant skilled occupation list.
- have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation
- have at least competent English
- score at least 60 on the points test
- meet the health and character requirements.
If you are invited to apply for this visa, you will then have 60 days in which to submit your online application. Your invitation letter will explain the process you should follow. Invitations are based on claims made in your Expression of Interest at the time you are invited to apply. Your application must reflect the information provided in your Expression of Interest, and be supported by relevant evidence.
You can include the following family members in your visa application:
- your partner
- your or your partner's dependent child
- your or your partner's dependent relative.
There are some obligations that states or territories will require you to meet. These include that you:
- stay in that state or territory that nominated you for at least two years
- keep the state or territory informed of any changes to your address
- complete surveys and provide information when asked.
This visa allows you and your accompanying family members to:
- live and work permanently in Australia
- study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- access certain social security payments
- apply for Australian citizenship (subject to residency criteria)
- sponsor relatives for permanent residence.
Priority processing arrangements apply to this visa. They determine the order in which Australian immigration considers applications regardless of when they have been submitted.